The 2019 ANZMRC tour has begun………. Follow the tour so far
The ANZMRC, or Australian and New Zealand Masonic Research Council is the organisation which links most of the research lodges and chapters throughout the far East, Australia and New Zealand. Bro Kerry Nicholls, as President, and Bro Colin Heyward, both in New Zealand, have combined with their colleagues in Australia, Bros Brendan Kyne, Neil Morse and Kent Henderson to organise the biennial tour of the group by a visiting lecturer. In the intervening year a conference is held – last year in Melbourne (2018) and next year in Dunedin (2020). The tour has welcomed a number of top-level Masonic speakers and writers over the years, primarily from the United Kingdom and Europe. This year the guest visiting lecturer will be Bro Dr Mike Kearsley.
WBro Mike Kearsley, Grand Orator, Provincial Grand Lodge of Middlesex (UGLE) is the ANZMRC Travelling Speaker for the 2019 Australasian Tour
The twelve papers offered for this tour are listed below. These are the papers that will be printed in the Tour Book “On the Square”.
- 1814, Consolidation and change, the first year of UGLE – the Prestonian lecture
- Sir John Soane, architect and Freemason – the first Grand Supt of works
- The three Cs – Cagliostro, Casanova and Crowley (the bad boys of Masonry?)
- Rob Morris – the Grand Luminary, his life and works
- The Morgan Affair in the N East United States
- The Roberto Calvi Affair – a Masonic scandal?
- The N East corner – foundation and cornerstones, the Masonic myth.
- The formation of the NZ Grand Lodge
- The Grand Lodge certificate
- King Solomon’s Temple, fact or fiction?
- Four years on the Square – the musings of an editor
- Reflections on the meaning of the Royal Arch
My most popular presentations at this point are:
- 1814 Conflict and Change – my Prestonian lecture for 2014. This tells the story of the first year of the forced union between the Antients and Moderns in 1813. It has been given throughout the world and UK more than 60 times. There is a booklet to accompany the lecture.
- The Roberto Calvi Affair – a Masonic Scandal. This tells the story of P2 lodge, the Mafia, the Vatican and the Banco Ambrosiano set within the context of Italian independence and the influence of Freemasonry in the same.
- The Morgan Affair in the 1820’s when the supposed murder of William Morgan by Freemasons unleashed one of the greatest attacks on the Craft and its members
- Grand Lodge Certificates – a detailed description of the development of design and the history of GL certificates – UK and others.
- The Three C’s – Cagliostro, Casanova and Crowley: Aleister Crowley – the world’s wickedest man. The story of this infamous character who always wanted to be a real Freemason. Courtesy of a colleague.
- The formation of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. The Norman Spencer prize winner detailing the shenanigans when three rivals tried to get together. The results of the formation of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand – did it achieve its aims? Was it as successful as it hoped it would be? What can we learn from this?
- Reflections on the meaning of the Royal Arch ritual. The Gordon Bourne lecture which seeks to explore why no one seems to understand if the Royal Arch ritual has any meaning at all.
- King Solomon and the temple – what do we really know and why are there no foundations for a temple on temple mount? The latest discoveries that the temple is actually somewhere else. This can be linked to a presentation of the second temple as described in the Royal Arch and what was Cyrus actually doing allowing the Jews to leave?
About The Lecturer:
WBro Dr Mike Kearsley is Provincial Grand Orator for Middlesex and has been involved in the oration scheme for seven years. He was initiated into freemasonry in the Hawera Lodge № 34 in Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand and was passed and raised in Mairehau Lodge № 391 in Christchurch, New Zealand. In the 1980’s he put all the members of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand (44,000) onto computer for the first time thus opening the door to better communication. He was a member of the Avon Lodge Orchestra. Later he joined the David Bonner Lodge № 9678, the Musicians Lodge of the province of Middlesex, under the English constitution becoming its Master in 2010 and Secretary. He is a member of the Temple of Athene Research Lodge № 9541, becoming Master in 2013, the Feltham Lodge № 7307, becoming Master in 2012, Quatuor Coronati Lodge № 2076 where he was secretary of the lodge and of the correspondence circle and London Stone RA Chapter № 2541, becoming MEZ in 2012. For a year he worked in Freemasons Hall in the QCCC office to ensure the running of this and to transfer all membership to external organisers and close the office. For the last three years he has been editor of The Square Magazine – the independent magazine for Freemasons which is circulated around the world. In this capacity he has visited many conferences as a guest speaker and reported on many Masonic events. He is the organising chairman of the European Masonic meeting planned for June 2nd 2017 in Twickenham and London when Freemasons and their wives from all over Europe meet to socialise and enjoy their Masonic connections. He is also supporting the organisation of the Province of Middlesex 300th anniversary celebration for June 24th 2017 as organised by Temple of Athene Lodge.
He has always had an interest in Masonic research and was a member of the correspondence circle of Masters and Past Masters Research Lodge, Christchurch, New Zealand. He has, therefore, produced many papers and presentations for Masonic audiences. The province of Middlesex is part of the national oration scheme and continues to provide over 100 presentations to lodges each year. In 2011 he was awarded the Norman Spencer prize, by Quatuor Coronati Lodge, for a paper on the formation of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, after which he was offered full membership. In 2014 he was appointed as the Prestonian Lecturer and his paper was 1814 Conflict and Change – the first year of the United Grand Lodge of England. In this capacity he has now presented over 60 lectures in such as the UK, Ireland, Bermuda, South Africa, Gibraltar, Greece, Portugal, Israel and the United States. He has been able to donate considerable sums to his chosen charity – DEBRA.
During his career, he was in sales and management in IBM, the marketing director for Alexander Stenhouse and Marsh McLennan, insurance brokers, the marketing director for Computations Plc, now part of Misys and principal consultant in Coopers and Lybrand (PWC). He has operated as an independent consultant for many years and continues to lecture in marketing, consultancy and general business areas at several Universities. He holds a number of degrees in business and education and is a fellow of many professional bodies for the same. He is the author of a number of publications and papers in these areas. He has travelled extensively for business purposes and as a guest lecturer and speaker at conferences.
This is the current list of what we are aware for the Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hongkong and Australia legs of the tour.
Once further detail becomes available this list will be updated.
Presentations are, of course, shorter than the book chapters and every presentation is full PowerPoint and colourful.
Saturday 27 July 2019: – Kuala Lumpur – The three Cs – Cagliostro, Casanova and Crowley (the bad boys of Masonry?)
Monday 29 July 2019: – Singapore – The North East Corner – Masonic fact or fiction?
Wednesday 31 July 2019 and Thursday 1 August 2019: – Hong Kong – (Two presentations)
Wednesday: – The North East Corner – Masonic fact or fiction?
Thursday: – Speaker’s Choice – To be advised.
Monday 5th August 2019:- Perth – The Roberto Calvi Affair – a Masonic Scandal?
Saturday 10 August 2019: – Launceston – The three Cs – Cagliostro, Casanova and Crowley (the bad boys of Masonry?)
Date to be advised: – Hobart – The North East Corner – Masonic fact or fiction?
Friday 16 August 2019: – Melbourne – The Roberto Calvi Affair – a Masonic scandal?
Thursday 22 August 2019: – Sydney – The North East Corner – Masonic fact or fiction?
Monday 26 August 2019:– Canberra – The Roberto Calvi Affair – a Masonic Scandal?
Friday 30 August 2019: – Brisbane – The North East Corner – Masonic fact or fiction?
Sunday 1 September and Monday 2 September 2019: – Cairns – (Two presentations)
Sunday: – Reflections on the meaning of the Royal Arch Ritual
Monday: – King Solomon’s Temple it ain’t necessarily so at Lodge Yungaburra
Thursday 5 September and Friday 6 September: – Townsville – (Two presentations)
Thursday: – Reflections on the meaning of the Royal Arch Ritual
Friday: – The Roberto Calvi Affair – a Masonic scandal?
The New Zealand leg
2019 NEW ZEALAND TOUR LEG UPDATE
As a result of unexpected circumstances the first part of the New Zealand leg of the 2019 ANZMRC Touring Lecturer’s presentations are postponed and we will be in discussions, for rescheduling purposes with the hosts in the following areas: Rotorua, Gisborne. Hastings, Dunedin, Invercargill, Timaru, Christchurch, Blenheim and Nelson. Flagged ⊗.
At this stage Wellington, Eketahuna, Foxton, New Plymouth and Auckland are still taking place as scheduled below.
⊗ Tuesday 17 September 2019:– Rotorua – King Solomon’s Temple, fact or fiction? It is befitting that the Waikato Lodge of Research (Bro Mike’s) N.Z Research Lodge are hosting this presentation.
⊗ Thursday 19 September 2019:– Gisborne – The Formation of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. This will be a unique experience where four Lodges have bonded together to bring this presentation to you. A big thank you to Abercorn-Tuahine Lodge No 76, Lodge Gisborne No 233, Montrose Lodge No 722 and Turanganui Lodge No 1480.
⊗ Monday 23 September 2019:– Hastings – at Lodge Haeata – The North East corner – foundation and cornerstones, the Masonic myth.
⊗ Wednesday 25 September 2019:– Dunedin – Four Years on The Square – the Musings of a Masonic Editor.
⊗ Friday 27 September:- Invercargill – The Roberto Calvi affair, a Masonic Scandal?
⊗ Monday 30 September:– Timaru – presentation to be advised.
⊗ Tuesday 1 October:– Christchurch – Reflections on the meaning of the Royal Arch Ritual.
⊗ Thursday 3 October: – Blenheim – The Roberto Calvi affair, a Masonic Scandal?
⊗ Tuesday 8 October:– Nelson – at Victory-Wakatu Lodge No 40 – The three Cs – Cagliostro, Casanova and Crowley (the bad boys of Masonry?
Thursday 10 October 2019:– Wellington – Four Years on The Square – the Musings of a Masonic Editor.
Saturday 12 October 2019:– Foxton – The Formation of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand
Tuesday 15 October 2019:– Eketahuna –The Roberto Calvi affair, a Masonic Scandal? – A big shout out of thanks to Te Awahou and Eketahuna Lodges.
Wednesday 23 October 2019:– New Plymouth –Four Years on The Square – the Musings of a Masonic Editor.
Thursday 24 October 2019:– Auckland – a United Masters Lodge and Masonic Heritage Society presentation. This concludes the tour.
This is not the complete list of presentations however there are small diversions Bro Mike will be making and do not be surprised to see him as a visitor at your Lodge Meetings around the time he is in your area.
At the time of writing Wanganui is still under negotiation – but never fear keep an eye on this page for updates.